Our network

Former Peachtree City Police Chief released on bond | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Former Peachtree City Police Chief released on bond

PEACHTREE CITY, Ga. (WXIA) -- Former Police Chief William McCollom reported to the Fayette County Jail Thursday after being indicted for shooting his former wife. He was charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct.

McCollom arrived at the jail a few minutes after noon Thursday.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard announced in March he would seek the misdemeanor indictment against McCollom.

The indictment was returned by the grand jury after hearing from only one witness, a GBI agent who conducted the investigation into what happened in McCollum's bedroom on January 1.


The former police chief spent about 45 minutes at the jail before being released on a pre-arranged $5,000 bond deal.

McCollom has never spoken publicly about the incident. As he left the jail, he said his wife is doing "much better." When asked if there's anything he'd like to say to the community, he replied, "I will," as he go into vehicle.

Ballard argued before the grand jury that McCollom, who was the police Peachtree City Police Chief at the time, acted with reckless conduct when he shot his former wife in their bed on New Year's Day. Under Georgia law, reckless conduct occurs when "a person who causes bodily harm to or endangers the bodily safety of another person by consciously disregarding a substantial and unjustifiable risk."


According to the indictment:

"The Grand Jurors, In the name and behalf of the citizens of Georgia, charge and accuse William McCollom with the offense of Reckless Conduct for that said William McCollom in the County and State aforesaid, on or about the1st day of January, 2015, did unlawfully endanger the bodily safety of Margaret McCollom by consciously disregarding a substantial and unjustifiable risk that his act of taking a loaded firearm to bed where the accused and Margaret McCollom were sleeping after having ingested alcohol and sleep medication would endanger the safety of Margaret McCollom and the disregard constituted a gross deviation from the standard of care which a reasonable person would exercize in the situation, contrary to the laws of said State, the good order, peace and dignity thereof."

"There is no evidence to suggest that Chief McCollom intentionally shot Mrs. McCollom, nor did the investigation reveal any motive to cause her harm," D.A. Ballard said in the statement.

A GBI investigation found McCollom went to bed with a loaded gun after drinking and consuming sleeping medication. He was awakened by the gunshot.

Margaret McCollom is still getting treatment at Shepherd Spinal Center for paralysis below the waist and other complications.

The details of the grand jury deliberation are confidential and will not be made public until they're filed with the court.

McCollom resigned days after the DA announced he would take the case to a grand jury.

The maximum sentence for a misdemeanor reckless conduct charge is 12 months in jail, but a plea deal is expected before the case ever goes to trial.